It was a beautiful evening and the creative entrepreneur went out for a walk on the beach, to breath some air.
He had walked a while when she noticed another person shortly head of her. It looked like a young woman, and she seemed happy. Suddenly, the girl turned her head back, looked at her and talked to her as she walked.
– ‘Hi! How great that you see me! Even more so knowing what you are going through these days…’.
– ‘Who are you?’
– ‘Who could I be… I’m your happiness’.
She rubbed her eyes just in case it was a joke her imagination was playing on her. When she opened them again, the girl was still here. Walking ahead of her.
– ‘You say you are… who?’
– ‘Your happiness! How wonderful that you can see me at last. You’ve been putting me further away for so long that I had almost lost any hope that some day we could talk. Almost.’
– ‘…Putting you further away?’
– ‘Oh, I see, It’s the same for so many people. You thought your happiness was something you had to reach… when, actually, it’s just the opposite: I was inside of you from the beginning, and the only thing you did through your life was to push me away, more or less far, depending on the day. That’s why I walk ahead of you: because I always do what you want me to… if one day you push me further, then I walk further, always ahead of you, so that you can play chasing me. I really hope some day, the sooner the better, we may meet. I’m sure we will’.
– ‘But… what can I do for you to come closer?’
The girl laughed. It was one of those laughs that tell you how much fun the person who laughs is having.
– ‘You don’t get it!’ I don’t come closer or go further from you; I only do what you want me to! I am your happiness. I am inside you. If now you see me outside, it’s because at some point in your life you believed that stuff, that happiness is something you have to achieve, something you have to pursue, and that it depends on things and people other than you. Look, as I really fancy you, I’m goging to give you a clue, just in case you want to turn it around’.
– ‘Tell me…’.
– ‘Ok. Starting tonight, when you go to sleep, review your day. And, just before you clse your eyes, you say to yourself, ‘I am happy’. And then, you sleep. And tomorrow morning, as you wake up, the first thing you say to yourself that day is, ‘I am happy’. And then, you tell me about it.
– ‘But, what if I am not happy?’
– ‘You choose. If you feel me inside you, then we will be together from the beginning, and we will walk together, whatever the path. Instead of thinking of me as somebody waiting for you somewhere, think of me as your pal for the adventure, right from the start. It’s worth the try, right?
That night, she did as she said. And the next morning, when she woke up, she repeated to herself, ‘I am happy’. And she said it again every noght and every day, just a momento each time.
Then one day, when she woke up, suddenly, she noticed something different. And, to within herself, she said, ‘ah, you are here. How amazing. Thank you. Here we go. Together’.